Volleyball Drops 2 of 3 in Blacksburg

The Seton Hall Volleyball team dropped 2 of three matches in Blacksburg, Virginia at the Hokie Invitational this past weekend, getting swept 3-0 by Tennessee and host school Virginia Tech before rebounding to win 3-0 over American.

Against Tennessee on Friday, the Pirates lost to the Volunteers (who were just outside the Top 25 in the national rankings) 3 sets to zero by scores of 25-22, 25-17, and 25-15. Senior Meghan Matusiak had 8 kills and sophomore Alyssa Warren added 17 digs. The Pirates were victimized by several long runs by the Volunteers, including runs of 6-1 in the first set and 6-0 in the second set. The Pirates were able to make a 7-0 run of their own in the first set to tie up the set at 20-20, but could not close the deal as Tennessee scored 2 straight points and went on to win the set, before remaining in control for the rest of the match. Freshman Shelbey Manthorpe added 6 kills and 8 assists in the loss.

In the second match of the weekend, against Virginia Tech on Saturday, the Pirates were also swept 3-0, albeit in much closer fashion (25-22, 25-18, 25-21). Shelbey Manthorpe had a solid game once again for the Hall, posting 9 kills and 21 assists, both team-highs, while senior Krissy Wrobel added 7 kills in her first start of the season. Manthorpe also added 6 digs in a well-rounded game for the freshman setter. After falling behind 14-7, Seton Hall came back to within 22-19 but could not get any closer. The score was tied up nine times in the second set, and the Pirates had a one point lead at 17-16 following a kill from sophomore Hannah Hugeback. But the Hokies scored 9 out of the next ten points, including the final 7, to take set two. The Hall had yet another lead in the third set, 17-14, but Virginia Tech once again responded, this time with 4 straight points as the Pirates were swept to fall to 3-5.

That record would not stand for long, however, as the Pirates rebounded later in the day by sweeping American 3-0 (25-20, 25-21, 25-15). Freshman Stacey Manthorpe (the sister of Shelbey, who had another strong game with 5 kills, 7 digs and 21 assists), posted a team-high 11 kills while Matusiak had a near double-double with 9 kills and 9 digs. The Pirates came out fast following their defeat to the Hokies earlier in the day, scoring 7 of the first 9 points en route to winning the first set. After an 8-0 American run put the Pirates one point behind in the second set, the Hall regrouped and built the lead back to 6, eventually ending set two on a Stacey Manthorpe spike. The Pirates scored the first 4 points of the third set and cruised to the victory from there.

The Pirates now head home looking to get back to the .500 mark against Hofstra. The match will take place on Tuesday at Walsh Gym starting at 7 p.m.

Jason Guerette can be reached at Jason.guerette@student.shu.edu