Sophomore scores winning goal for Hall

1:52 was all that was left on the clock in the second overtime as sophomore Katie Ritter scored the winning goal for the women's soccer team against the Princeton Tigers 2-1.

After a missed clear from Princeton's goalkeeper junior Claire Pinciaro, sophomore Amie Ruhe headed to ball back into the box and the ball found Ritter's feet and then put the ball past Pinciaro.

The win improves the Hall's record to 4-1-1, their best start to a season since the 2005 year.

The other goal scored by the Pirates was off the foot of sophomore Meghan Hayes, for her first of the year. Senior Elizabeth Bond made four saves in the win.

Princeton got on the score sheet first in the 80 minute. Tigers' junior Caitlin Blosser headed the ball toward the Pirates goal, but the ball went off the hand of a reaching Bond into the net for the first goal of the game.

Just over a minute later in the 81 minute the Hall tied the score back up with a goal from Hayes that found the upper left corner of the goal from 35 yards out.

It would take until there was just under two minutes left in the second overtime for the next goal to be scored when Ritter ended the game.

The women's soccer team plays there next game on the road at Iona on Sunday with kickoff set for 3:00 p.m.

Stephen Valenti can be reached at stephen.valenti@student.shu.edu