Pirates prepare for weekend

The women's soccer team looks to find some offense after coming off two games with just one goal as they begin a two match stretch against Princeton and Iona.

Last week the Pirates split their matches at the West Point Invitational with a 1-0 loss against the host Army and a 1-0 win against Colgate in the consolation match.

In the match against Colgate, sophomore Ashley Clarke scored the match winner off of a penalty kick only 67 seconds into the game.

The Pirates were shut out, 1-0, despite outshooting the black knights 17-9. This was the first loss of the Pirates season.

Junior goalie Jennifer Pettigrew has recorded 19 saves and has a .826 save percentage this season. She has allowed only four goals in five Pirate matches, including two shutouts.

Head coach Kazbek Tambi said Pettigrew has been "an outstanding goalkeeper for us."

According to Tambi, the team's defense is not made from just the defenders. "The defense starts with our forwards," Tambi said. "Everybody has to contribute, because we try to be well-rounded."

Tambi said that "everybody is giving a great effort."

Sophomore forward Katie Ritter leads the team with two goals, and also leads the Pirates with four points.

Senior Taylor Wilson leads the team with fifteen hots, but has only one goal.

Four other Pirates have one goal, including redshirt junior forward Stephanie Soma, senior midfielder Caitlyn Milazzo, and sophomore midfielder Ashley Clarke.

The Pirates have struggled offensively, only scoring two goals in their last three matches, however Tambi does not see a problem with this.

"We work on finishing every day in practice," Tambi said. "We've had chances, and that's just the nature of the gaee."

The Princeton Tigers have a record of 0-2, having allowed six goals and only scored two in their first two matches of the season.

The Tigers are also being outshot 27-17, they also allow twice as many shots on goal, 13-6.

Tiger Goalies Darcy Hargadon and Claire Pinciaro have a combined save percentage of .538.

Princeton's two losses have come while playing on the road.

After the home match against Princeton on Friday, the Pirates will travel to New Rochelle, N.Y. to play the Iona Gaels.

Having only one day of rest in between games concerns Tambi, however he looks at it as preparation. "As the Big East schedule comes closer the one day of rest helps us prepare for that schedule," Tambi said.

The Gaels have been shut out twice in five games.

Both keepers for the Gaels, Trista Rivera and Jacquelyn Gates, have a combined save percentage of .833.

The Gaels' opponents are outshooting them 59-49. Opponents also have more shots on goal, 40-24. Iona is 1-1-0 while playing at home.

On Aug. 31 the Pirates were ranked ninth in the NSCAA Northeast Region Ranking, their first ranking since 1998.

The Pirates are one of eight Big East teams ranked, six of whom are on the Pirates' schedule.

T.J. Brennan can be reached at thomas.brennan@student.shu.edu