Expanded South Orange-Seton Hall cooperation on public safety benefits students and residents

The Department of Public Safety and Security and South Orange Police Department should be commended for their decision to expand and implement new Unversity's safety measures. If any single issue is perennially present at Seton Hall, it is the safety and security of students in the vicinity of campus.

With yesterday's daytime robbery on Elm Street and last week's armed robbery of two students at a NJ Transit bus stop right outside of the McNulty Gate, the safety of South Orange has weighed heavily on students' minds.

The Setonian hopes that the University Patrol program will prove effective in discouraging crime. Ideally, however, given the size of the Unversity Patrol perimeter, this paper hopes the University will find the resources to have two officers patrol the area.

The expansion of the CASE program, now called SHU Safe Ride, is especially welcome. The CASE Van, with its limited, defined radius and one-way transportation left much to be desired. The Setonian encourages students in need of transportation to and from campus to utilize this service.

Hopefully, SOPD will not use the University Patrol program to reallocate resources to other parts of the Village. Seton Hall Public Safety cannot be in all places at all times, and a joint patrol initiative would help increase the safety of South Orange's streets for Village residents and SHU students both.