Pirates make conference tournament

Completing the sweep of Georgetown with a 6-3 victory the Pirates advance to the Big East Tournament for the first time since 2008, with a record of 14-13 in conference and 29-23 overall.

Entering the tournament as the No. 5 seed, out of eight teams, the Hall will face the fourth seeded West Virginia Mountaineers in the opening round of the tournament on Wednesday at 5 p.m., in Clearwater, Fla.

Earlier this season the Pirates lost two of three games to the Mountaineers, in a series on the road.

Along with West Virginia, top seeded Connecticut and No. 8 seed Notre Dame join the Pirates on the bottom half of the double elimination bracket.

The Hall enters the Big East tournament winning seven of their final nine conference, including sweeps of Louisville and Georgetown at home.

Going into the tournament the Pirates will look to their pitching staff, which ranks second in conference game with a 2.42 ERA, to advance through the tournament.

Leading the staff is the combination of senior Joe DiRocco and sophomore Jon Prosinski. DiRocco leads the pitching staff with a 6-1 record and a 1.54 ERA while Prosinski holds a 6-4 record to go along with a 2.07 ERA.

At the beginning of the season the Pirates were picked to finish 11 out of the 12 teams in the Big East Pre-Season Coaches Poll.

Stephen Valenti can be reached at stephen.valenti@student.shu.edu