Hall basketball gets a few new recruits

Head coach Kevin Willard announced Tuesday that Sean Grennan, Kevin Johnson, and Brandon Mobley will attend the University and suit up for the Pirates upcoming 2011-12 season.

"I'm very pleased with the addition of these three talented players," Willard said. "Brandon and Kevin will really help us inside and Sean solidifies our guard position."

Grennan is regarded as a tremendous passer and a sharpshooter, being named to New Jersey's All-Ocean County team the past three seasons. As a senior at Monsignor Donovan High School, the 6-foot-2 guard averaged 19 points, five assists and four rebounds per game.

A true three point threat, Grennan scored over 1,400 points in his career as a four year starter for the Griffins. Grennan is rated as a two star recruit by ESPN with an overall rating of an 80.

Johnson is a true center with a large frame, making him one of the most highly sought after low post players in the country. While averaging a double-double as a senior, the 6-foot-9, 240 pound center led William Howard Taft High School to a 29-3 record.

Johnson is considered to be a physically dominating player who can establish position on the lower block and convert because of his good hands and touch around the rim. Johnson is a three star recruit who is ranked as the 26th best center in the country by ESPN with an 89 overall rating.

Mobley, a post-graduate signee, is described as an inside-outside big man with deep range, good athleticism and quickness, who can play the three and four positions. The 6-foot-9 forward averaged 20 points, eight rebounds and three blocks per game in his lone season at St. John's Northwestern Military Academy in Wisconsin.

In his senior year of high school at Grove High School in Savannah, Mobley averaged a double-double and was named First Team All-State, All-Region and Region Most Valuable Player while leading the school to a 28-2 record. Mobley is rated as a two star recruit by ESPN with an overall rating of 86.

"We targeted guys who could come in and help us right away," Willard said

The three newcomers will join fellow incoming freshmen Aaron Cosby, Haralds Karlis and Freddie Wilson as members of Willard's second recruiting class. All will play basketball for Seton Hall this fall.

"I'm really excited with the potential that all six of our newcomers will bring to this roster next year," Willard said.

Colin Rajala can be reached at colin.rajala@student.shu.edu.