University leaders, donors should focus on student aid

University President A. Gabriel Esteban, university deans and donors should be commended for their efforts to increase financial aid opportunities for current and prospective students.

With tuition rising another $750 next year to $15,720, increases in merit scholarships to incoming freshmen will help lighten the burden by the ever increasing costs of attending Seton Hall.

The Setonian also finds it encouraging that the University's leaders and donors are working together to enhance the funding of current students through the creation of new scholarships.

This year has been turbulent for students, particularly when many work study students saw their work study allocations slashed as the spring semester began due to cuts in federal funding to the University's work study funds (see The Setonian's Jan. 20 story "University reduces/adjusts work study"). After the reductions and increases in tuition, any increase in aid from Seton Hall to students, for cases of need or merit, is welcome.

It was not long ago, in the 2007 issue of U.S. News and World Report's Best Colleges, that Seton Hall was listed in the No. 1 position for the heaviest debt loads in the nation among America's college and university graduates. According to the survey, 61 percent of Seton Hall students at the time graduated with an average debt of $37,724. In this week's web exclusive on student debt, the Office of Financial Aid said they no longer keep records of graduates' debt loads.

The Setonian hopes that Esteban, University leaders and donors continue to find new and innovative ways to provide greater aid to students while maintaining, or increasing, current levels of services to students.