Hall softball loses two to DePaul

The Seton Hall softball team dropped a doubleheader in Chicago Wednesday, losing both games to DePaul by one run, 7-6 and 1-0. The Pirates fell to 15-29 overall and 3-16 in the Big East.

Senior Blue Demon pitcher Lindsey Dean blanked Seton Hall's offense in the second game, throwing a complete game one hitter while recording nine strikeouts.

Freshman Jen Metzger pitched six innings for the Pirates, allowing six hits and striking out three.

In the second game, the Pirates trailed by 6-0 before a four run sixth. Junior Kristen Kaelin accounted for three of those runs with a three run homerun.

In the top of the seventh inning, senior Brittany Schillizzi hit a two run homerun to bring Seton Hall's deficit to one run. The Pirates eventually fell short of a late game comeback.

The Pirates won a series 2-1 against Georgetown at Guy Mason Field in Washington, D.C. this weekend.

Head Coach Ray Vander May earned career victory 400 in the first game of the series on Friday in extra innings by the score of 7-3. Vander May became just the sixth head coach of the Big East to reach the milestone.

Sophomore pitcher Hannah Hill threw a complete game, allowing two earned runs off seven hits and striking out five batters. Hill earned her seventh win of the season.

Schillizzi hit a three run homerun in the first inning to jump the Pirates to a 3-0 lead.

In the home half of the fourth inning, Hill got out of a jam after the Hoyas had the bases loaded with no outs.

The Hoyas scored two runs in their half of the sixth, pulling the score to 3-2. The Hoyas scored a run on a throwing error in the seventh inning to send the game to extra innings.

In the top of the eighth inning, the Pirates scored four runs with two outs to earn the victory.

The Pirates and Hoyas played a double header on Saturday, which the teams split.

Despite outhitting the Hoyas (10 hits for the Pirates, six for the Hoyas), Seton Hall dropped the first game in the seventh inning on a squeeze bunt walk-off win for the Hoyas.

Metzger pitched six innings allowing three runs off six hits, while striking out five.

The Hoyas rallied in the seventh, scoring three runs on three hits, an error, a fielder's choice, and a squeeze bunt for the comeback win.

In the second game of the double header the Pirates took the rubber match of the series in five innings by the score of 13-0, their season high in runs scored.

Hill improved to 8-13 on the season, by pitching a one hitter, and striking out three in five innings of work.

The Pirates started the scoring in the first inning as Schillizzi hit an RBI double. Kaelin drove Schillizzi home with an infield single.

Schillizzi also hit a two run homerun, recording three RBIs off three hits in the game. Kaelin also had three RBIs with three hits.

Freshman infielder Meredith Henze hit a three run homerun in the third inning. Sophomore Brittany Hammer hit a two run homerun, to blow the game wide open.

The Pirates had 16 hits in the game, along with no errors, compared to four from the Hoyas.

Schllizzi improved to 14-26 with four homeruns and 12 RBIs for her career against the Hoyas.

Schillizzi was honored as Big East Player of the Week for her performance in the Georgetown series. Schillizzi is the first Pirate to earn this award since Laura Taylor in 2005.

The Pirates next play a three game series against Big East opponent Syracuse on Saturday at Owen T. Carroll Field.

T.J. Brennan can be reached at Thomas.brennan@student.shu.edu