Esteban’s first Charter Day as president

Seton Hall celebrated the 150th chartering of the University at the 2011 Elizabeth Ann Seton Charter Day Convocation on Tuesday, also honoring dedicated members of the community during the event.

During the convocation, the Bishop Bernard J. McQuaid Medal for Distinguished Service and the President’s Award for Student Service were awarded as well. Msgr. Thomas P. Nydegger, associate vice president for Student Affairs, delivered the keynote speech in which he spoke of truth and spiritual enhance of the students in Seton Hall’s community. “Less and less am I asking ‘what am I doing here?'” Nydegger said. “But let all of us never fail to ask that important question, especially on days like Charter Day, when we remember and reflect on our great history and renew our commitment to our purpose and our mission.” Nydegger began and finished the address with this question of mission and purpose. “Let us never stop talking to one another about what we need to do and how we can do it,” Nydegger said. “We are all in this together.” This was President A. Gabriel Esteban’s first Charter Day Convocation as president of the University. In his opening words he thanked Nydegger “for helping to educate students about the important challenges they will face.” Esteban also presented all medals to the recipients. The McQuaid Medalists for this year were Robin L. Cunningham, associate dean of Freshman Studies, Mary Ann Nardone, clerk of the Procurement Department and Charles A. Sullivan, professor of law and director of the Seton Hall University School of Law Rodino Law Library. The medalists were honored by Larry A. Robinson, provost and executive vice president, as being role models who have given “outstanding contribution and strive to excel to fulfill Seton Hall’s mission every day.” The President’s Award, given for responsiveness to the needs of students, was presented to Patricia Nardone, secretary of Public Relations and Marketing and Debra Zinicola, associate professor of Educational Studies in the College of Education and Human Services. Monsignor C. Anthony Ziccardi, vice president of Mission & Ministry, concluded the convocation by honoring the 41 Servant Leader Scholars for this year. “They seek leadership not for egos, but for others,” he said. Special acknowledgment went to senior students James Bishof, Lisa Marie Didow, Stephanie Rigor and Jennifer Zmirski. This year celebrates 150 years since the chartering of Seton Hall College in 1861. The University was officially founded in 1856. Charlotte Lewis can be reached at charlotte.lewis@student.shu.edu.