Cable channel options differ due to residence hall locations

Seton Hall’s residence halls have different cable packages based on whether they are on or off-campus.

According to Tara Hart, director of Housing and Residence Life, Turrell and Ora Manors are provided cable by a separate vendor because they “cannot be connected to the University network due to distance.” “While HRL pays for the cable service bill for both on and off-campus university owned residence halls and apartment buildings, the actual contracts including package and channel negotiations (which also include on campus cable such as is the Pirates Cove) are conducted by the Office of Business Affairs,” Hart said. Seton Hall’s cable vendors are CampusTelevideo and Private1. “We chose these two vendors because they have offered the University the most effective plan,” John Signorello, associate vice president of Facilities and Operations, said. Signorello said CampusTelevideo and Private1 offer reasonable costs and a wide selection of channels to choose from. Private1 is used for off-campus housing, and CampusTelevideo is used for on-campus housing. Since some residence halls have different packages and thus different channels, HRL and the Office of Business Affairs try to make sure that all students receive channels that they want, according to Hart. “The issue of level of satisfaction with cable is asked each year as part of our annual benchmarking survey- which every resident is asked and encouraged to fill out,” Hart said. The on and off-campus packages are very similar, according to Signorello. “For the most part I am satisfied with Seton Hall’s cable company,” Tiffany Mongiardini-Batista, a Cabrini Hall resident, said. According to the list, provided by Signorello, of the channels provided in all of the Seton Hall residence halls, all halls are provided access with 55 of the same channels. According to Signorello, the cable provider that Seton Hall uses is due to the satellite signal used by the vendors. “Direct TV is the satellite signal provider used by CampusTelevideo and Privatel,” Signorello said.

Ora Manor only channels On-Campus only channels
Big Ten Network SNY
NHL STARZ!
NFL MTV U
Fox Soccer Channel PBS

Kimberly Bolognini can be reached at kimberly.bolognini@student.shu.edu.