Student-athletes honored at the Hall

Seton Hall participated in the National Student-Athlete Day on April 6 by honoring fourteen students.

For National Student-Athlete Day, the coaches from each of the athletic team select one athlete for whom they feel demonstrate what it means to be a “student-athlete.” The awards were presented to the honorees in between the softball double-header against St. John’s. This year’s student honorees include: Nicole Longobardo, women’s golf, Nicki Gross, women’s soccer, Alexandra Maseko, women’s basketball, Michael Dietze, men’s soccer, Mamadou Niang, men’s cross country, Alexandra Hehn, women’s cross country, Patrik Auda, men’s basketball, Andrea Shuba, women’s swimming & diving, Kevin Webster, men’s swimming & diving, Krissy Wrobel, volleyball, Joe DiRocco, baseball, Michelle Reed, foftball, Elizabeth Verow, tennis and Gary Dunne, men’s golf. According to Shupirates.com, “Seton Hall student-athletes pride themselves on their achievements not only on the field, but also in the classroom and community.” Students must maintain at least a 3.0 GPA and excel in community activities. There were more than 140 Seton Hall student-athletes counted as Big East Academic All-Stars. Collectively, they have participated in more than 500 hours of community service in the 2010-2011 academic year by taking part in various community activities such as the Seton Hall Pen Pal program, baking cookies and making sandwiches and visiting area hospitals. “To have my academic achievements recognized by my coach and the Seton Hall Athletics staff was great,” Wrobel said. “It goes to show you hard work truly pays off. It’s very nice for one’s tireless work ethic to be recognized.” In addition to her school work and time on the court, Wrobel, a junior, is a member of PRSSA as well as many other activities both on and off campus and even finds time to write for the Setonian. “I view being a student-athlete at Seton Hall not as a right, but as a privilege,” Wrobel said. The National Consortium for Academics and Sports (NCAS), has been celebrating National Student-Athlete Day annually on April 6 since 1987. “National Student-Athlete Day recognizes the accomplishments of student-athletes nationwide who excel in the classroom, in their competitions and in their communities.” Alexandra Lubischer can be reached at alexandra.lubischer@student.shu.edu.