SGA elects new Senate chairs, plans for next year including budget allocation for student clubs

The Student Government Association held its only joint meeting with incoming and outgoing senators on Monday night, electing new Senate chairs and discussing end of the year budget plans.

The elections for 2011 - 2010 chairs are Michael Cruz as Senate Speaker, Annelie Roding as Senate Parliamentarian, Elizabeth Gabriel as Senate Secretary, Joe Donato as Student Life Chair, Will DeCotiis as Finance Chair, Corinne Neves as Public Relations Chair and Drew Holden will as the Academic Affairs Chair.

"I really enjoyed working with all of you," departing senior and President Melissa Boege said. "I never doubted that each of you cared."

Boege also handed out certificates to the current SGA members.

Representatives of the Student Activities Board requested $6,000 in co-sponsorship funding to support costs for this year's ‘SHU-fari' themed Spring Fling, scheduled to take place between April 26 and May 5.

Spring Fling is a longstanding tradition at Seton Hall according to SAB representatives.

This year will consist of a carnival day with games and prizes, a Six Flags trip, as well as visiting entertainers.

The SAB requested $3,000 from the SGA for last year's Spring Fling, and was allocated the full requested $6,000 out of the remaining $9,780 SGA budget Monday night.

Boege represented the class of 2011's request for a minimum of $3,000 to fund a fraction of this year's Senior Ball, which is scheduled to take place at Galloping Hills Caterers in Union, N.J., on May 12.

After adjustments and statements from senior members of the SGA, the motion was passed to allocate the remaining $3,780 of the SGA budget to the senior class.

Alumni Relations will be funding the Senior Barbeque scheduled for May 13, and the senior class will be taking a trip to Seaside Heights, N.J., on May 14 but did not ask the SGA for funding for that activity.

The treasurer's report stated next week's SGA meeting will be a budget appeals meeting for University clubs and organizations.

The finance report granted several Univesity clubs and organizations money.

The Finance Club was granted $200, the Italian Student Union was granted $500, the Palestine Student Union was granted $550 and $600 was granted to the Jewish Student Union, the Muslim Student Union and the National Society of Collegiate Scholars.

Village Liason Kelsey Coolidge announced several events, including the Carter Park clean-up this Sunday from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., the only debate of the South Orange municipal candidates in the Chancellor's Suite on April 26, the South Orange River Clean-up on May 1 from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m., and Jersey Cares Day on May 7.

Coolidge announced the Off-Campus Housing Fair won NRH program of the month, and Seton Hall will be publishing its own Zagat Guide with Zagat creators in the next few months.

Incoming President Derel Stroud wished the seniors and departing members the best of luck, and those leaving gave words of gratitude for the teamwork of the SGA this year.

Charlotte Lewis can be reached at charlotte.lewis@student.shu.edu.