Scarlett Knights softball sweeps Seton Hall

The Seton Hall softball team fell to a 12-24 record after being swept by Rutgers in a three game series over the weekend.

The sweep extended the Pirates' losing streak to eleven games, and gave the Hall a 0-11 Big East record.

Sunday's game three ended with 4-1 Pirate loss, with freshman pitcher Jen Metzger falling to 5-7 on the season.

Metzger gave up a three run homer to Rutgers outfielder Mikelyn Messina in the first inning. Infielder Ashley Bragg followed with a solo shot in the fourth.

The Pirates' only run was scored by sophomore Brittany Hammer in the fifth after a throwing error allowed her to reach from third. Sophomore Brooke Tull did not get a hit in the game, ending her hitting streak at six games.

Tull's record dropped to 2-5 after an 8-0 loss in the second game. Rutgers infielder Brittany Lindley powered the Scarlet Knights with a grand slam in the fourth inning.

The Pirates put up a fight in the first game of the series with a 4-run third inning. Sophomore pitcher Hannah Hill allowed two runs in the bottom of the second inning to give Rutgers a 2-0 lead.

It was Hammer's 2-run double that evened the score at 2-2. Junior Nicole Lowenstein and senior Jaime Gates both added RBI singles to give the Pirates a 4-2 lead.

The Pirates blew the lead in the top of the fifth after defensive mistakes allowed Rutgers to score six runs in the inning. The final score was 10-5 and Hill was saddled with the loss. Hill is now 5-12 on the year.

Seton Hall had thirteen hits in the game. Brittany Hammer tallied three hits as well as three RBI's and third-baseman Meredith Henze went 2-for-3 in the game.

Gerard Gilberto can be reached at gerard.gilberto@student.shu.edu.