Have you heard the 'Rumors'?

Theatre Council's third production of the year, "Rumors," a Neil Simon play directed by senior Brittany Biesiada, opens April 14 at 8 p.m. at the Theatre-in-the-Round.

Biesiada described the play as a farce with improbable situations, exaggerated characters and physical humor. The action centers around a group of wealthy New Yorkers who visit the home of the Deputy Mayor of New York, Charlie Book, only to realize he has passed out on valium after shooting himself in the ear.

While Book's wife is missing and the servants are gone, all the food is prepared and ready for the guests upon their arrival. Comedy ensues as the first guests attempt to cover up the attempted suicide and then proceed to lie to each subsequent guest, while at the same time taking care of Charlie and trying to figure out exactly what happened.

Much of the comedy comes from watching this egotistical group of selfish people panic, deal with a crazy situation and spread rumors, Biesiada said.

Biesiada expressed a longstanding desire to produce "Rumors" after she saw a high school production of it.

"I could see that it was a good script and knew that we had good talent at Seton Hall," Biesiada said. "I knew the cast could take it and run with it and they have."

The cast is comprised of just ten people – five men and five women – and Biesiada says this factored into her decision to select "Rumors."

"I wanted to choose a play with good roles for both men and women," Biesiada explained. "I act, and scripts usually have better male roles. So, I was very conscious of that."

Senior Matt Giroveanu, who plays the sarcastic and blunt Leonard Ganz, expressed excitement about the show and advises audiences to "expect a lot of laughs."

"This is a very talented cast and a very funny show of which I'm grateful to be a part," Giroveanu said. "I hope the audience has as good a time watching the show as I've had being in it."

Giroveanu, who has been in five shows this year and three in April alone, said he loved working with Biesiada and with Simon's comedy.

"When it comes to acting, Brittany and I have similar styles, so we work well together," he said. "I love Neil Simon. His writing style, action, and use of language is all very witty. He has a broad spectrum of humor, which ranges from dry to slapstick."

Freshman Emily Yates, who plays Chris, described "Rumors" as "utter chaos on stage."

All the cast members fit their characters perfectly and Brittany is a fabulous director," Yates said. "We understand her and she relates to us."

There are four chances to catch "Rumors," beginning April 14, 15 and 16 at 8 p.m. and April 17 at 2 p.m. Performances will be in the Theatre-in-the-Round, and tickets cost $3 for students and faculty and $5 for general admission.

Cathryn Wiatroski can be reached at cathryn.wiatroski@student.shu.edu.