Hall brings back TEDx

Seton Hall will be holding its second annual TEDx conference on April 8 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m in the Theatre-in-the-Round.

TED stands for “technology, entertainment and design” and has a website that consists of videos of people talking about various issues. The x following TED means that the conference is run independently from TED as a whole. The theme of the event last year was “Asking big questions,” which Chair of Speaker Recruitment, Cassie Denbow said, “challenged our speakers to let us know the questions they find important and impactful in their daily life.” The theme for this year’s conference is “What’s your green?” The conference is not intended to be about sustainability, Denbow said. “This is a conference on challenging the stereotypical conception of the word green and recognizing the energy which exists in today’s world for the green movement,” she said. The tagline of TED is “Ideas worth spreading.” Denbow said speakers are asked to discuss what excites and brings passion into their lives. Currently there are 9 confirmed speakers. According to Denbow, they are waiting on confirmation from the 10th. Speakers include, a spoken word poet from Columbia University, Dina Omar and Michael Shapiro, founder of the New Jersey hyperlocal website, The Alternative Press. Also, Seton Hall professor, Dr. Judith Stark, will discuss living green in New Jersey. Many of last year’s speakers will be returning to the conference this year as audience members, Denbow said. TEDx was brought to Seton Hall by recent alumni and a “avid fan” of TED, Zishan Jiwani. TEDxSeton Hall consists of faculty advisors and 20 students. Denbow said last year’s turnout was “awesome,” but under the license Seton Hall has with TED only 100 people can attend. Last year the conference had to turn down 34 applicants. Denbow said they are expecting even more applications this year. Applications for the event are available at www.tedxsetonhall.us Denbow noted the conference is an interactive experience. “TEDxSeton Hall is not a stuffy all day conference,” she said. “It is an energetic and light hearted event to provoke conversation and energy for all in attendance.” Nicole Bitette can be reached at nicole.bitette@student.shu.edu.