Exposition marks 15 years of celebrating academic efforts

The Annual Petersheim Academic Exposition, a commemoration of undergraduate and graduate student scholarly achievement, is celebrating its 15th year this April.

The exposition will take place Tuesday, April 12 through Saturday, April 16, providing an opportunity for students to showcase their projects, research and academic work.

"We have always referred to the expo as a celebration of academic achievement," Vivienne Carr, co-chair of the exposition, said. "Each year students and faculty sponsors of students will provide proposals for the expo so that students across the disciplines can come together to display posters sessions, presentations and research symposia."

Every year, it is tradition for the exposition to follow a specific theme to which presentations and posters should relate. According to Carr, the theme for this year's exposition is "Share, Honor and Unite."

According to Carr, the exposition has been named after the late Dr. Matthew Petersheim, who believed the work of students should be celebrated and shared outside of the classroom.

The tentative schedule, which is available on the Seton Hall website, lists a variety of events such as a Chinese Speech Contest, a virtual tour of Seton Hall's second life activities, a graduate open house showcase and a gospel choir concert.

"A small group of volunteer faculty, administrators, staff and students have continued the tradition set forth by Dr. Petersheim by planning the program each year," Carr said. "The expo is coordinated in his honor and he would be proud to know that all university community members are invited to attend."

In the spirit of sharing expertise and extending mentorship, the exposition committee encourages upper classmen to share their knowledge and skills with freshmen and sophomores, as well as learn from graduate students who can offer insight to post-undergraduate life.

The exposition is not only to praise students who have gone above and beyond with their academic and community work within Seton Hall but reflect that success onto their peers, according to Carr.

The exposition offers a call for presentation and poster proposals, according to Carr. In order to participate, students and faculty sponsors complete an online application, and a committee reviews the proposals. The program is available on the exposition's webpage on the University's website.

Rawan Eewshah can be reached at rawan.eewshah@student.shu.edu.