Program pairs alum to mentor undergrads

The Career Center is piloting a “Communication Mentor Program” that pairs 11 Seton Hall University alumni with 11 undergraduate students.

According to the Associate Director of the Career Center, Reesa Greenwald, students for the pilot program were referred by their faculty. Selection was based on grades and extra-curricular involvement. The program was originally conceived by Paul Ward, a Seton Hall alumnus and current executive vice president of Nickelodeon Kids & Family Group. “Mr. Ward saw the value of connecting current students with successful alumni,” Greenwald said. “So he contacted The Career Center, which in turn, reached out to Dr. Kathleen Donohue Rennie, intern coordinator in the Department of Communication and the Arts.” Greenwald said while the program was not difficult to start, it was a lot of work. “This was a true collaboration among The Career Center, the Department of Communication and the Arts and SHU alum Paul Ward,” Greenwald said. The program, which is already underway, includes mentors such as the vice president of Bath & Body Works, the CEO of Clarity Marketing & Media, and the vice president of Communication for Sports Illustrated. Junior broadcasting major Christine De La Rosa, one of the 11 students paired with a mentor, said her experience with the program, so far, has been promising. “My mentor is the vice president of research in TV Land, which is part of MTV networks,” De La Rosa said. “For our first meeting, I went to her office which is located in the Soho area of New York City.” De La Rosa said that she has already been given countless tips as well as help with her resume and is looking forward to the rest of the program. “The advice my mentor has given me is giving me a lot of insight to the business and how to get involved with what I want to do,” De La Rosa said. “She told me how she got to where she is right now and tells me about things she learned while getting to her position.” According to Greenwald, The Career Center hopes the students’ connections to successful alumni will help further develop their professional skills and learn about challenges faced by executives. “We all know how important networking is and this program has provided great networking opportunities for our students,” Greenwald said. According to De La Rosa, the program is helping her make connections and network with companies, which is something that could help her in the future. “I really think this program has the potential to help students out with figuring out exactly what path they want to follow after they graduate,” De La Rosa said. “I’m happy to be involved.” Ashley Duvall can be reached at ashley.duvall@student.shu.edu.