Pirates fall to Rutgers in first round

A three point basket from senior Jeremy Hazell to send the game into overtime was not enough as the Pirates lost to Rutgers 76-70 in the first round of the Big East Tournament.

Senior Jeremy Hazell made a three point basket off of a screen with two seconds remaining to send the game into overtime against Rutgers.

Hazell's basket was the Hall's first field goal in over seven minutes of game play.

In the overtime period, both teams went without scoring a basket in the first 1:30 of play until Rutgers' senior James Beatty made a jumper giving the Scarlet Knights the 66-64 lead.

After a turnover from senior Herb Pope freshman Fuquan Edwin and Rutgers' freshman Gilvydas Biruta fought for the ball resulting in a foul on Edwin. On the foul however Biruta threw an elbow that hit Edwin resulting in an automatic technical foul on Biruta, his fifth foul.

Senior Robert Lumpkins made the second of two free throws to give the Scarlet Knights the 67-64 lead.

Junior Jordan Theodore took the technical free throws for the Pirates making both shots.

Following a missed three point attempt from Lumpkins, Edwin got fouled sending him to the line for two shots. Edwin would make both shots giving the Hall the 68-67 lead.

With senior Jonathan Mitchell driving to the basket junior Jordan Theodore attempted to draw the charge but was called for the blocking, fouling him out of the game.

On his free throws Mitchell made the second shot to give Rutgers the one point lead. Pope made a layup on the Pirates next possession to give the lead back to the Hall, 70-69.

Mitchell would go to the line shooting two on the Scarlet Knights' next two possessions after fouls from Pope with the second fouling Pope out of the game with the Hall down 71-70.

Down one senior Jeff Robinson missed a three point attempt from the corner, forcing the Pirates to foul Mitchell. Mitchell went on to make both of the free throws to make it a three point game73-70.

After a Hazell turnover, Mitchell was fouled once again with him making the second shot giving the Scarlet Knights the 74-70 lead.

After the Hall's 16 turnover of the game, Mitchell finished the game with two more free throws giving Rutgers the 7670 win.