Lady Gaga lacks class, music lacks a message

Allow me to preface this by admitting I know the majority of readers may fervently disagree with my sentiments, but I continue to be blown away by the antics of Lady Gaga (and not in a good way). Of course, her popularity has grown endlessly since "Just Dance" and I do commend her for some catchy tunes and being able to make it in a tough industry.

That being said I would like to know what in the world goes on in her head. Yes, she is attempting to stay true to the little monster she was "born" as, but I don't believe she is setting the best example for her fans, particularly the younger ones. In lyrical terms, I can't help but cringe a little when "Love Game" comes on the radio knowing that young girls are singing along about taking certain rides on, well, you get the picture.

Gaga has outwardly made herself an advocate for the gay community, and that is all well and good. She is definitely not alone in crafting explicit lyrics (hey Lil' Wayne), but with any orientation, people do not need to know the specific and intimate details of an artist's sex life.

As a perhaps biased Taylor Swift fan, I know much of her criticism is that she uses her music as a diary and too frequently references past relationships. The difference is the manner by which she does it. She gives away just enough to leave some parts of her story up to a listener's imagination and she is much more relatable in her approach.

Swift also presents herself in a better light; her makeup is modest and her dress friendly and real. Thanks to Gaga, wearing a trash bag as a gown and a faux bird's nest on your head is considered "fashion." It is important for music to convey a message; however, there is certainly a classier way to do so, Lady Gaga.

Gabrielle Kiger is a senior journalism major from Vero Beach, Fla. She can be reached at gabrielle.kiger@student.shu.edu.