AD search comes to an end

Seton Hall has filled another hole in it's list of open positions, naming a new athletic director on the morning of Feb. 23.

Pat Lyons, Athletic Director at Iona College since 2004, has been named to the same position at Seton Hall.

As was announced this morning by University President Dr. A. Gabriel Esteban, the decision that brings another former Gael to Seton Hall Athletics is effective on March 28.

"In Patrick Lyons, Seton Hall has found an athletic director dedicated to the University's Catholic mission and to the development of our student athletes as servant leaders of the future," Esteban said.

The move fills the void that was left when Joe Quinlan departed from Seton Hall this past October.

Lyons's hiring also enables Seton Hall Law dean Patrick Hobbs to once again assume his full-time duties to the law school after overseeing the athletic department since the summer of 2009.

"I am absolutely delighted that Pat is joining us at Seton Hall," Hobbs said. "Pat has done a remarkable job at Iona. He's a proven leader who has brought their programs and facilities up to the major conference level. Pat helped build a tradition of winning and integrity in New Rochelle and will bring that same passion to transform Seton Hall in years to come."

Lyons, the 38-year-old native of Providence, R.I., was the Associate Athletic Director for External Affairs at Iona before he became Athletic Director. In this position he was responsible for handling all revenue generated by the athletic department and was also focused on fundraising efforts.

Under Lyons, Iona's men's cross country team earned two consecutive second place finishes at the NCAA Championship in 2007 and 2008. The team also made it into the Top-10 at the national championship in the last nine years, a feat only matched by the University of Wisconsin.

Also on Lyons's resume are the men's cross country team's 20 straight conference titles, which stands as the second longest active streak in NCAA history.

Last season, the men's basketball team won 21 games. Prior to Lyons's departure this season, the Gaels were 18-10 overall under first-year head coach Tim Cluess, who was hired after Kevin Willard accepted the head coaching job with the Pirates.

The women's basketball program had their most successful five-year stretch with Lyons as AD and advanced to the postseason three out of the previous four seasons.

To add to the triumphs of Iona's athletic department headed by Lyons, the women's cross country team won five straight MAAC Championships, the softball team claimed its first ever bid to the NCAA Championship and the volleyball team made it to the MAAC finals last year.

Lyons said he is "extremely excited" to take on the leadership role at Seton Hall.

"I'm looking forward to the challenge of furthering the department and helping to establish it as one of the most respected programs both in the Big East and at a national level," he said. "I also look forward to building on the legacy and tradition of Seton Hall Athletics."

Lyons will be officially introduced at a press conference at 11 a.m. today.

Gabrielle Kiger can be reached at gabrielle.kiger@student.shu.edu.