Library collects French books for Haiti

A book drive for French language books that will be sent to Haiti is currently taking place in the Walsh Library for the Samuel Dalembert Foundation.

SDF is building two schools and two libraries in Haiti and is in need of books for both. The books being collected range from dictionaries to poetry to novels, according to Catriona Hill, secretary to the dean of the library. “We’re looking for any and all books that are readable in the French language,” Hill said. The foundation was created by Samuel Dalembert, current center for the Sacramento Kings and Seton Hall alum, according to the foundation’s website. The foundation was created in April 2007 after Dalembert realized he wanted to give back to the country in which he grew up. According to the website, “The mission of the SDF is to better the lives of the people of Haiti and children all over the world through projects that empower individuals to seek out and achieve sustainable improvements in their daily lives.” After hurricane season, Dalembert helped those who were affected by floods and in the hospital, according to the website. The website said, “Samuel’s commitment to the cause of Haitian aid includes a multi-year pledge to UNICEF, precipitated by the immensely devastating 2008 hurricane season. He will support efforts to bring clean water, food, and medical supplies and assistance to the people most in need throughout the country.” The foundation is currently working on the Dalembert Academy Project which will construct community centers throughout Haiti that will provide academic and athletic programs for children and families that were affected by the earthquake. “The goal of the Dalembert Academic and Athletic Academies Project is to provide stable access to these and other services in the hope of making an immediate impact on the lives of people who have certainly suffered long enough,” the website said. The academies will consist of classrooms, a sports venue and a cafeteria and will provide medical treatment for those that attend. The “French Book Project for Haiti” was created because these academies and libraries need books. The foundation has received French books from all around the U.S. and Canada, according to Rodney Snipes, the creator of the project and president of R.J. Snipes exporting. At this time, the Walsh Library has collected roughly 200 books ranging in topics, Hill said. She added, “We would love a couple more.” Any French books for donation can be dropped off at the circulation desk in the library. To find out more information about the foundation, go to dalembertfoundation.com. The foundation did not return requests for comment as of press time. Kelly Carroll can be reached at kelly.carroll@student.shu.edu.