Enrique Iglesias a 'Hero' to dedicated fans at NY concert

Enrique Iglesias performed a sold-out show at Madison Square Garden on Feb. 5. The concert was part of the tour for his 2010 album "Euphoria."

Jay Sean, the opening act, performed five songs, one of which was his soon to be released single "Hit the Lights." He dedicated his last song, "Down," to his grandfather who had passed away a few years ago, saying how his grandfather would be so proud if he could see Jay Sean now.

When Iglesias came on stage, he opened with his latest single "Tonight (I'm Lovin' You)." The crowd went wild the moment he hit the stage.

Iglesias performed many of his songs in Spanish, and many of the Spanish-speaking members of the crowd sang along to. He lifted his microphone stand up toward the audience often and seemed continually amazed when they knew all of the words. It looked like Iglesias had tears in his eyes from the warm welcome he received.

At one point, Iglesias brought up three fans from the audience. He had real conversations with them about their lives, took pictures and let them sing with him.

Iglesias seemed humbled to be on stage at MSG, the place he said he considered the greatest venue. He repeatedly told the audience, "You don't know how good I feel." Iglesias said he was grateful for the fans that have stuck by him since his debut in 1995.

The set list consisted of many of Iglesias' old hits with only a few songs from "Euphoria." He ended the set with his hit "Do You Know? (The Ping Pong Song)," and confetti flying everywhere.

The show was not over, however. After the ending to his main set, Iglesias came back for an encore. First he performed "Hero," his 2001 hit, and brought a woman from the audience on stage to serenade with the ballad. The second part of the encore was "I Like It," which ended the night like one big party. After he was done, everyone screamed for another encore, both in English and Spanish.

Throughout the whole concert, Iglesias' audience seemed very important to him. Being at MSG gave him a very humble demeanor - he did not seem at all like a jaded artist who has been in the music business for 16 years.

Kristyn Lyncheski can be reached at kristyn.lyncheski@student.shu.edu.