Esteban speaks to University community for first time as president

University President Dr. A. Gabriel Esteban addressed members of the University community today in the Walsh Library rotunda for the first time since being named permanent Seton Hall president on Jan. 10.

Administrators, faculty, staff and students filled the rotunda to hear Esteban's remarks, which were offered before a small reception.

Msgr. Thomas Nydegger, associate vice president for Student Affairs, offered a brief introduction for Esteban, which featured comments about The Setonian's Jan. 20 issue and the headline "Everybody loves Esteban." Msgr. James Cafone led the community in a prayer before Esteban spoke.

Esteban's remarks included reference to being an immigrant to the United States, that Seton Hall's strongest value is its Catholic faith, and how the University pushed through the adversity of the past six months is through staying together as a community.

Most of the attendees at the event waited in line after to shake hands with Esteban and speak one-on-one.

"I felt really a part of the Seton Hall community," Esteban said to The Setonian after his remarks.

Esteban added that he "was touched by the outpouring of support from the University community."

Esteban announced during his remarks that the reception was funded by Ed Quinn, a member of the Class of 1958. During his interview with The Setonian, Esteban said that the fall's investiture ceremony will also be privately funded.

Brian Wisowaty can be reached at brian.wisowaty@student.shu.edu.

Caitlin Carroll can be reached at caitlin.carroll@student.shu.edu.