Blowout extends losing streak

The women's basketball team lost to No. 8 Notre Dame, by 51 points, 89-38, on Tuesday night in South Bend, Ind.

The Pirates have now lost 10 consecutive games in the Big East as their overall record fell to 7-16 and 0-10 in the Big East.

Notre Dame's record improved to 21-4 overall and 10-1 in conference play.

The Fighting Irish scored 36 points off of 24 Pirate turnovers, including 17 steals. Notre Dame also out-rebounded the Pirates 42-26.

The Hall was held to 25 percent shooting from the field and 27 percent from beyond the arc.

Notre Dame shot 64 percent from the field and 60 percent from three-point land.

Junior guard Jasmine Crew led the Pirates in points and rebounds with 10 and five respectively.

Freshman guard Ka-Deidre Simmons was the Halls' second leading scorer with seven points.

Leading scorer on the season for the Pirates, junior forward Kandice Green, left the game with an ankle injury after being fouled four minutes into the game and did not return.

Junior guard Natalie Novosel led six players from Notre Dame in double figures with 16 points, along with four rebounds.

Sophomore guard Skylar Diggins recorded 14 points, seven assists, six rebounds and five steals for Notre Dame.

Four Notre Dame players outscored Crew including Novosel, Diggins, senior guard Brittany Mallory, and freshman forward Natalie Achonwa.

The Irish never trailed in the game, scoring the first points and maintaining the lead throughout.

On Sunday, against the Providence Friars the Hall lost 58-55 at home.

Despite losing, the Pirates won the turnover battle only committing 13, compared to the 18 by Providence.

The Pirates also out-rebounded the Friars 34-30.

Crew led the Hall with 14 points. She also recorded five rebounds in 37 minutes of play.

Green scored 12 points and a game-high eight rebounds.

Friars sophomore guard Symone Roberts led the Friars with 14 points, matching Crew's total for the game-high.

Roberts ended the game with two free throws after being fouled by sophomore guard Brittany Morris with three seconds remaining.

The Pirates shot 35 percent from the floor and 11 percent from beyond the arc.

The teams picked up the offensive pace in the second half, after the first half ended 17-16, with Providence leading.

In the second half the Friars scored 41 points to the Pirates 39 points.

"I think it's great for the team to score almost 40 points in a half, and in the first half we played great defense," head coach Anne Donovan said. "We just have to put the two halves together to win."

The game was close throughout, with each team's biggest lead being four points. The score was tied 13 times along with 18 lead changes.

The two teams made a combined seven consecutive baskets late in the second half to add to the drama of the game.

"This one hurt," Donovan said.

The Pirates return to action on Feb. 12 when they travel to Cincinnati to play the Bearcats. The Hall is still searching for their first Big East victory in their last 18 conference games.

T.J. Brennan can be reached at thomas.brennan@student.shu.edu