New PNC office, ATM allow fee-free banking

The on-campus PNC Bank office was installed last summer at no cost to the University because of an existing relationship Seton Hall has with the bank.

Due to past ATM user dissatisfaction with the fee charged to those who had accounts with different banks, the PNC Bank branch in the University Center is seen as a solution to that dissatisfaction, according to Dennis Garbini, vice president of Finance and Technology.

Despite the nearby locations of PNC, Bank of America and Chase on South Orange Avenue, PNC was the only bank willing to install a full-service ATM without fees when approached by the University, Garbini said.

Seton Hall and PNC worked together to find a convenient banking solution for the campus.

"With the University Center location, along with the on-campus ATMs and online banking, Seton Hall students, faculty and staff have the added convenience of being able to meet many of their personal banking needs without having to leave the campus," a PNC Bank representative said.

The representative, who works at the PNC branch, declined to give her name.

Junior Tom Orsini said the on-campus bank office allows students easy access to a bank account.

"It's easier for the students to access the bank especially when so few of us have cars on campus," Orsini said.

"Yeah, it's right down the road, but especially in situations like how poor this weather has been, it's difficult to walk down South Orange Ave."

According to Garbini, Seton Hall did not pay for the construction of the banking office, the staffing of PNC personnel or for the ATMs, which are located in the University Center and Xavier Hall.

"PNC has particular expertise and broad experience with University banking, making us a strong competitor for these opportunities," the representative said.

Junior Maria Lentini said she has never used the bank office in the University Center.

"I mostly just check my account online, and if I really need to physically take out money or deposit checks, I just use the ATMs in X or right next to it (the bank)," Lentini said.

PNC offers WorkPlace Banking programs for the campus community, especially faculty and staff.

"WorkPlace Banking programs offer faculty and staff solutions to help achieve their financial goals, including financial education workshops covering topics including basic banking, credit management and identity protection, along with personal banking products and services," the PNC representative said.

For more information regarding bank offers for Seton Hall University, please visit shu.edu/offices/services/human-resources-banking-services.cfm.

Joanna Toole can be reached at joanna.toole@student.shu.edu.