And the Grammy goes to: Record of the Year

Among the multitude of awards given out at the 53rd Grammy Awards, one of the most prestigious awards, Record of the Year, will be won by a deserving artist. The category has been awarded since 1959, with recent winning records that include "Rehab" by Amy Winehouse, "Use Somebody" by Kings of Leon and "Here We Go Again" by Ray Charles and Norah Jones.

This year there are five songs up for the title of Record of the Year. The nominees are "Nothin' On You" by B.o.B featuring Bruno Mars, "Love The Way You Lie" by Eminem featuring Rihanna, "F**k You" by Cee Lo Green," Empire State of Mind" by Jay-Z and Alicia Keys and "Need You Now" by Lady Antebellum.

"Nothin On You" was B.o.B's debut single and it went double platinum, reaching number one in the U.S. as well as the U.K. "Love The Way You Lie" combines Rihanna's unique vocals with Eminem's poignant lyrics. "F**k You" by Cee Lo Green is a single off of his third album The Lady Killer.

"Empire State of Mind" is a song dedicated to New York performed by fellow New Yorkers Jay-Z and Alicia Keys. Lastly, "Need You Now" performed by Lady Antebellum, a country group formed in Nashville, Tenn., is nominated for four awards in the 2011 Grammy's.

While Cee Lo Green's "F**k You" and B.o.B's "Nothin' on You" are both catchy songs, the odds of these songs winning seem extremely low, since the tracks have not reached a wide audience. "Need You Now" by Lady Antebellum may seem like the obvious pick, but "Empire State of Mind" will likely pull out on top.

Not only was "Empire State of Mind" catchy but it was also an ode to New York. Last year, the song was not only blasting out of the radio speakers but it also became the indisputable anthem of the 2010, a well-deserved honor.

Briana Knox can be reached at briana.knox@student.shu.edu.