Women still searching for first Big East victory

The women's basketball team will have two chances next week to end a seven game losing streak as well as earn their first win in conference.

The Pirates will face off this Sunday in Walsh Gym against the Providence Friars and then travel out to Notre Dame on Wednesday to take on the No. 8 Irish.

"We just come out and try to compete every day," said head coach Anne Donovan. "I do feel we are evenly matched for the first time since we started our conference schedule."

Donovan felt that proper execution on the offensive side of the ball should provide a spark for her struggling team.

Seton Hall's most recent loss came against No. 17 ranked Georgetown. The Hoyas held the Pirates leading scorer, junior forward Kandice Green, to just three points and six rebounds.

"We struggled trying to break the press against Georgetown and we just couldn't get the ball into Kandice," said Coach Donovan. "They were long and tall and tough to get past, but that should not be a problem against Providence, we should be much more efficient."

Providence are also on a losing streak dropping their last three games, against Rutgers, St. John's, and most recently to No. 14 West Virginia, all by at least 14 points.

The Friars also are at the bottom of the conference standings with a record of 2-6.

Donovan feels that the Pirates can have success if they exploit the Providence defensive front-court and hold down top scorers sophomore Symone Roberts and senior Mi-Khida Hankins.

After Providence the Pirates travel to face the No. 8 Notre Dame Irish.

"We're a little less evenly matched against Notre Dame," said Donovan. "We should be just fine if we take care of the ball against their zone."

Behind top scorers junior Natalie Novosel and sophomore Skylar Diggins, Notre Dame is ranked third in the Big East with a 8-1 record. The Irish are on a six game win streak which includes a win against No. 17 Georgetown.

Coach Donovan is very excited to gain her first Big East win as the head coach of the Pirates and feels that their recent skid does not warrant any panic.

"We're just looking to gear it up for the last few games and make some type of positive push," said Donovan. "We really just want to keep everything competitive."

A win for the Hall this week would pull the Pirates out of a tie for last place in the Big East with Villanova.

The Hall's have lost their last 16 games in the Big East with the last victory coming against the Wildcats last season.

Gerard Gilberto can be reached at gerard.gilberto@student.shu.edu