Football goes pop

Besides football, the Super Bowl is known – even infamous – for its halftime show. In 2004, the country was abuzz over the notorious Janet Jackson scandal. The result was six Super Bowls with only performances featuring artists from older generations; that was, until now.

This year, the Black Eyed Peas has been selected to perform at the 2011 halftime Show. This concert will be the first time since the 2004 controversy that a musical act under the age of 50 will be featured.

Some of the halftime performers from the last six Super Bowls include the Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney, Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers and Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band. While each of these bands is a legend in its own right, some younger viewers are probably not able to relate to them or their music, which causes the network to lose viewers.

Also, some of these musicians are not up-to-par with their old musical abilities. The Mick Jagger of the 70s and the Mick Jagger of today are two completely different vocalists. As musicians age, the performance quality just is not the same.

The hip-hop group the Black Eyed Peas is made up of four members: Fergie, Will.i.am, Taboo and alp.de.ap. The band's set will most likely consist of just the hits from their two latest albums, "The E.N.D." and "The Beginning," including "I Gotta Feeling" and "The Time (Dirty Bit)." However, the Peas might throw in an old hit or two to please longtime fans of the group.

While the network does not expect a controversial incident to take place, it is taking all possible precautions to prevent any problems. In the aftermath of the 2004 escapade, ABC and the NFL enforced a five-second delay and a censorship of lyrics that they consider too explicit or not appropriate for the network.

They used this censorship power in 2006 when they turned off Mick Jagger's microphone, which the band agreed to prior to the event.

By putting the Black Eyed Peas on at the halftime show, FOX will attract more viewers tuning in just for the concert, possibly at the expense of the older generation of viewers the network had been getting the past few years.

However, some might even just watch to see if something goes wrong again.

This performance by the Black Eyed Peas may make-or-break the future of the halftime show. If it goes well, younger performers may be picked more frequently. On the other hand, if another controversial act occurs, the halftime show might need to start recruiting from a retirement home.

Super Bowl XLV featuring the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Green Bay Packers will take place at the Dallas Cowboys Stadium in Texas on Feb. 6. It will air on FOX at 6:30 p.m.

Kristyn Lyncheski can be reached at: kristyn.lyncheski@student.shu.edu