Diplo school hosts panel to launch journal issue

Diplomacy related events, such as an international relations-environment studies panel, will be featured at an event to launch the Whitehead School of Diplomacy's latest issue of The Whitehead Journal of Diplomacy and International Relations.

The event, which will take place on Feb. 22 at 1:30 p.m. in the Chancellor's Suite, will launch the Winter/Spring 2011 issue entitled "States of Nature: The Role of Natural Resources in International Relations."

The event, moderated by Philip Moremen, associate professor of diplomacy, will consist of a group of panelists who specialize in the topics of international relations and environmental studies.

The panel will elaborate on their thoughts on the correlation between the two issues in modern time as well as hosting a question and answer session for all participants.

The panelists consist of Matt Lehtonen, program officer at the United Nations Environmental Program, Dr. Saleem Hassan Ali, a professor of Environmental studies at the University of Vermont and Carl Burch, co-director of the International Program Environmental Law Institute in Washington D.C.

Burch also co-wrote "When Peace-building Meets the Plan: Natural Resources Governance and Post-Conflict Recovery" along with Paivi Lujala and Sandra Nichols, the article's other two authors.

The panelists will be discussing Burch's article as well as ten other articles ranging in titles from "The Scope of Resource Conflict: A Model of Scale" by Dr. Paul Diehl, "Realizing the People's Right to Natural Resources" by Emeka Duruigbo, and pieces that focus on specific regions like "Russian Energy and Russian Security" by Stephen Blank.

According to Sofia Pantel, one of the event's coordinators, Whitehead hopes to broaden the understanding of the effects of natural resources on the world in which we live.

"Access to natural resources affects every single individual around the world in varying degrees," Pantel said. "Water scarcity, exploitation of land and climate change, just to name a few, can lead to cooperation or in many cases conflict."

Pantel said Whitehead explores and elaborates on these topics in the upcoming journal issue.

The panel will address the relationship between natural resources and the survival of individuals and states in the global community.

The discussion will also include time for the audience to ask questions. The audience will also have opportunities to personally meet the panelists, as well as obtain a copy of the new journal issue at the end of the event.

The event is open to the entire Seton Hall community.

Rawan Eewshah can be reached at rawan.eewshah@student.shu.edu.