Momentum after the upset

With Tuesday night's 22-point shocker against No. 9 Syracuse still fresh in the Pirates' minds, the team returns home this Sunday to face Providence at 2 p.m.

All five starters scored in double figures at the Carrier Dome, which began to quickly empty out midway through the second half when the Hall maintained around a 20-point lead.

Seton Hall enters the matchup against the Friars 9-12 overall, 3-6 in conference play. Senior guard Jeremy Hazell leads all scorers with an average of 20.3 points per game. He tallied 28 points against the Orange and nailed five three pointers, tying his season high.

Senior forward Herb Pope averages a double-double in Big East play with 12.7 points per game and 10.2 rebounds per game.

Providence lost their first six games against Big East opponents before defeating Louisville on Jan. 22 by a final score of 72-67.

They most recently played Villanova at home on Wednesday night and with an 83-68 win, they improved their overall record to 13-8. The Friars are currently 0-5 on the road.

They have a non-conference win in common with the Pirates in defeating Alabama on Dec. 11, 82-70.

Seton Hall earned a victory against Alabama on Nov. 19 in the opening game of the Paradise Jam tournament when Hazell suffered the wrist injury that kept him out of action for nearly two months.

Following the game against the Friars, Seton Hall is set to take on West Virginia in Morgantown on Feb. 2 at 7 p.m.

Head coach Bob Huggins' Mountaineers played Louisville on the road Wednesday night and slipped away with a one-point victory, 55-54. Their losses came against Minnesota, Miami, St. John's, Marquette and Marshall.

The Pirates were 0-2 against the Mountaineers last season.

On Dec. 26, 2010, the Pirates forced overtime in a nationally televised game but ended up falling 90-84.

Their effort for revenge later that season in late February came up short as they were edged 75-63.

Though suspended indefinitely, senior guard Mitchell Casey leads the Mountaineers in scoring with an average of 16.6 points per game while shooting 44.2 percent from the field. Huggins has not made a clear indication of when Casey will return to action.

Junior forward Kevin Jones and junior guard Darryl Bryant are also recording averages in double figures with 13.8 and 11.8 points per game, respectively.

Gabrielle Kiger can be reached at gabrielle.kiger@student.shu.edu.