Seth Rogen powers 'The Green Hornet' to the big screen

Only the phrase "pure genius" can describe the "The Green Hornet." The film's debut on Jan. 14 left a competitive start from its rivals according to box office data base website The Numbers.

Grossing about $40 million on its opening weekend, the film is one of the highest rated of this month thus far, although the numbers are compared to movie flops that have begun to affect the industry. Yet "The Green Hornet" delivers in entertaining its audiences with the aim to poke fun at the superhero persona.

Writer and lead actor Seth Rogen and director Michel Gondry pursued a different take on the vigilante duo. Based on the radio program created by George W. Trendle in the late 1930s, the film's contemporary adaptation resulted in a less serious perspective on real life crime and violence.

According to essortment.com, "The Green Hornet" was a "modern day depiction of the lone ranger." The Hornet is characterized as a mysterious hero fighting the injustices and corruption of the big city. Although unique for its time, this old time hero received a major make over, one which Seth Rogen and co-writer Evan Goldberg were eager to create.

As a billionaire playboy with little ambition, main character Britt Reid is an idealized version of the wasted youth Rogen depicts in many of his films like "Superbad" and "Pineapple Express." Accompanied by his genius sidekick Kato, played by Chinese pop singer Jay Chou, The Green Hornet's mysterious appeal is attributed to that of insecure rich kid rebelling against his father. After his father's untimely death, Reid discovers his true goal in life.

From the witty banter exhibited from both characters, to the explosive action sequences with their paranoid enemy Chudnofsky, the film itself can be described as a glorified action picture with vulgarity and tasteless humor aimed for the young male.

Aside from its immaturity and at times awkward interactions between co-stars Seth Rogen, Jay Chou, and Cameron Diaz, "The Green Hornet" is a definite continuation of the revival of comic book heroes but with a positive light.

The "bad guys" of the film reveal their own troubles and insecurities, which makes them less intimidating; more like clowns than arch nemesis. The whimsical portrayals of the clumsy drug addict or the brainless gang leader with an inferiority complex of course cannot compare to the realities of drug dealings and homicides.

Even through the murderous rampage and chaos caused by both the Green Hornet and his enemy seem excessive, one must not get side tracked from the overall intention of the movie: to bring laughter.

A highly entertaining film, "The Green Hornet" is on the must-watch list of 2011. It is definitely worth seeing. Even the most serious of individuals will crack a few smiles and laughs along the way.

Katia Diaz can be reached at katia.diaz@student.shu.edu.