A day of "Remembrance and Hope"

The University held an 11th annual prayer service for the victims of the Boland Hall fire on Thursday in Seton Hall's chapel.

All of the Seton Hall community was invited to attend the service entitled "Remembrance and Hope". A broadcast e-mail was sent to the entire community from the Office of Mission and Ministry.

Msgr. Joe Chapel gave both the opening remarks and the homily for the prayer service.

"So many of us remember so vividly that day, that month, that has melted into years," Chapel said.

Newly appointed President Esteban gave his thoughts about the day of remembrance and read excerpts from the Bible during the service.

Many family members, students, alumni, faculty, policemen and firefighters attended the service.

"We pray to be vulnerable," Chapel said. "Open your heart and it will heal."

Throughout the service, thanks were given to those who gave their efforts during the fire such as doctors and nurses, firefighters, policemen and Emergency Medical Technicians.

"We learn who we are through suffering," Chapel said. "Love is needed to enlighten."

At the end of the service, the father of late freshman Aaron Karol spoke.

"Those close to us have carried us through our weakest moments. We extend our thanks for remembering our son," Karol's father said.

Karol had hopes of optimism for a new decade.

"This year is the 11th anniversary which means it is the beginning of a new decade," Karol said.

After talking about his family's grieving process, Karol explained that a few of Aaron's high school friends created a non-profit foundation in his memory.

According to Karol, the foundation is titled "AK" standing for Aaron's initials and "aspiring kindness." The foundation was created to raise money for "first responders."

Karol also spoke about a memorial scholarship in his Aaron's name.

As the prayer service concluded Amazing Grace was sung by those who attended.

For more information about Aspiring Kindness, please visit aspiringkindness.org.

Kimberly Bolognini can be reached at kimberly.bolognini@student.shu.edu.