Campus reacts to its new president

The appointment of Dr. A. Gabriel Esteban as president of the University has been well received among members of the University community.

"The appointment of Dr. Esteban as permanent president of the University was greeted with great applause at the A&S Chairs' retreat on Tuesday morning," Joan Guetti, interim dean of Arts & Sciences, said.

Guetti also said Esteban has "demonstrated effective strategic leadership over the past few years."

"In my opinion, he is the perfect president for the University as this juncture," Guetti said.

Newark Archbishop John J. Myers, who is also the chair of the University's Board of Regents and president of the Board of Trustees, issued a statement Tuesday.

"I welcome heartily the Board of Regents' selection of Dr. Esteban as the new President of Seton Hall University," Myers said. "At this time in her history, Seton Hall University deserves both a consistency in her leadership, and a consistent and dedicated leader who will serve Seton Hall with distinction."

Myers also highlighted Esteban's "strong familiarity" with the University, as well as his "successful track record" as both Provost and interim President.

According to Myers, Esteban will benefit the University greatly, especially with his "dedication and commitment to Seton Hall's Catholic identity."

"I am especially thankful for the zeal with which Dr. Esteban has already worked with the Boards of Regents and Trustees, and with me personally, over the past six months to ensure that Seton Hall University … maintain and strengthen the University's ties to both the Archdiocese and the Magisterium of the Church," Myers said.

Esteban's handling of the death of sophomore Jessica Moore and injury of two other University students at an off-campus house party in East Orange last September was frequently mentioned.

"He made himself to be a presence on campus and among the students, and guided the University through a difficult semester and a tragic event," Student Government Association president Melissa Boege, said.

Guetti said Esteban's genuine character shone especially during the aftermath of the shootings.

"He is a very genuine person - so dramatically evidenced during the week-end of the shootings and in mourning for Jessica Moore," Guetti said.

David Beneteau, chair of the Faculty Senate, congratulated Esteban in the name of the faculty.

"We have come to know Dr. Esteban over the past several years; we have great confidence in his abilities and fully support him. We are sure that the full faculty of the University shares our confidence in him," Beneteau said. "We are pleased that the vision and priorities he has enunciated will continue for years to come, and we look forward to collaborating with him to move the University forward."

Jessica Sutcliffe can be reached at Jessica.sutcliffe@student.shu.edu.