The Voice: Presidential search has lacked transparency

As the official undergraduate student newspaper, The Setonian has made every effort to bring the Seton Hall community the latest news on the presidential transition process. Unfortunately, we have not had much to report.

The original presidential search process was transparent compared to what has occurred this fall. The original search, last we heard, has been suspended. The latest update on the presidential transition website announced the interim appointment of then-Provost A. Gabriel Esteban on June 16, 2010.

We had hoped that, by our final issue of the fall semester, we would have been able to provide you with an update on where the leadership of the University stands. Unfortunately, all we have been able to provide were Interim Provost Dr. Larry Robinson's Dec. 3, 2010 remarks to the faculty senate that it is his "impression and expectation that prior to Christmas, there should be some resolution of the leadership of the University, regarding the presidency."

We have not heard if the University's Board of Regents would begin a new, national search or was looking for a leader from within the University. We have not heard how the Regents wanted to proceed, or was even considering proceeding.

We had hoped the University leadership, chiefly the Board of Regents and the Board of Trustees, would be more forthcoming and open regarding where the University's presidency stands.