Students travel far and wide for winter break

The Christmas season is upon Seton Hall as classes come to a close, and students begin to think ahead to the plans that await them over the holiday break.

For many, this break will see a return home to families and friends, to part-time jobs and maybe even warmer climates.

For other students, however, the upcoming weeks will be a chance to uproot themselves from South Orange and take off towards activities and vacations all across the globe.

One student, Romina Martinez, is venturing to Paraguay with her family. Martinez said she is going to visit relatives her father hasn't seen for over seventeen years.

Martinez said she is excited not just for the experience of travelling abroad, but for the chance to immerse herself into Paraguayan culture.

"I will be doing lots of dancing, and eating lots of food, but I'm most excited about getting a killer tan," Martinez said.

Freshman Alex Manners will be visiting a friend in Alabama and another in Florida. He said he is excited to set foot in the south for the very first time.

"I'm interested in trying to acquire a Southern accent, indulging in a little pecan pie, and hopefully even getting to experience the mythological pastime of cow-tipping," Manners said.

Not every student is setting their sights on warmer weather.

Junior Patrick Parrish said he is hoping to spend some of his break skiing in the Rocky Mountains.

Junior Joe Breen seeks to spend a week snowboarding in Vermont.

However, some students are planning on spending their break giving their time to those in need.

The DOVE program at Seton Hall is taking 15 University community members on a service trip to Haiti.

"They will live and work in the Maison Fortune orphanage (which houses 250 orphans), play soccer with the children, teach English classes and help out with any special needs of the orphanage," Michelle Peterson, director of DOVE, said.

According to Peterson, DOVE began its service work in Haiti in 2008 after the earthquake. From Jan. 8–16, Seton Hall members will be giving their time to those in need.

"We will go to Haiti; learn from Haiti; and then change ourselves… for Haiti," Peterson said.

Editor's note: The original article, and the accompanying print publication, listed quotes from student Josh Meyer. Meyer's remarks were fabricated and he has since apologized to The Setonian. They have been removed from this online piece.

Patrick Wedlock can be reached at patrick.wedlock@student.shu.edu.