Radio City Music Hall Christmas Spectacular

It's that time of year again: the end of classes, dreaded finals and long-awaited Christmas break. But before packing up for home head to New York City to see the Radio City Music Hall Christmas Spectacular.

The show, which first opened in 1933, brings the spirit of Christmas alive with the help of the famous Radio City Rockettes, musical performers, live animals, snow, fireworks and, of course, Santa Claus.

The show, which has remained essentially the same over the years, showcases a live orchestra that pops up onto the stage, a Nativity scene with live camels, donkeys and sheep and the breathtaking and beautiful Rockettes. The classic performance is kept fresh with a 3-D movie that takes you to spectacular New York City landmarks.

The most impressive part of the show is the Rockettes' performance. They dazzle with their extraordinary high kicks and magical dance numbers. The 36 women kick off the show as mischievous reindeer that welcome Santa and his sleigh. Later, they parade as wooden soldiers in a straight line and, after the sound of a cannon, they magically collapse like a row of dominos. They end the show in their famous glittery costumes and magnificent high kicks.

The show runs every day through Dec. 30. Tickets can be purchased online, at the Radio City Music Hall, Madison Square Garden, and the Beacon Theater or by calling 866-858-0007.

Tickets range from $45-$75 on off-peak days and $55-$105 on peak days. Radio City Music Hall is located on 6th Ave. between 50th and 51 St. in New York City.

The Christmas Spectacular will put you in a holiday mindset and make you forget those final exams.

Laurel Barbot can be reached at laurel.barbot@student.shu.edu.