Christmas in Rockefeller Plaza

Wondering what to do this winter season? Why not visit New York City where you can experience a winter wonderland at its finest. Even before the snowflakes fall, the city begins its Christmas celebration lifting everyone's spirits and warming their hearts. You can get to the city simply by taking the Dover Line at the South Orange Train Station which takes you to Penn Station. You can exit at 7th Ave and 34th St.

Once in the city, begin by visiting the most popular attraction, the Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree. Located at Rockefeller Plaza, between West 48th and West 51st Streets and 5th and 6th Avenues, Manhattan, the tree will light up your night and provide perfect picture opportunities! The tree, lit for the first time on Nov. 30 and can be viewed until Jan. 2. However, it is most magnificent when lit, so the best time to visit the world-wide symbol of the Christmas season is any day from 5:30 a.m. to 11:30 p.m., any time on Christmas Day and New Year's Eve from 5:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. Join the tens of thousands of people who come to see the biggest and brightest tree around!

You can also take check out the window displays of the stores that bring the holiday alive with numerous figures and lights that create winter stories and scenes. The must-sees include Lord & Yaylor (424 Fifth Ave. at 38th St.), Bergdorf Goodman (Fifth Ave. and 57th St.), Saks Fifth Avenue (611 Fifth Ave.), Barneys New York (660 Madison Ave. at 61st St.), Bloomingdales (Lexington Ave. between 59th St. and 60th St.) and Macy's (Herald Square, between 34th and 35th St. on Broadway).

And of course while you are passing these storefronts, go in a few and splurge! After all, it's Christmas!

After seeing Macy's in Herald Square, make sure you go to Lincoln Square, where the sidewalks are brought to life with street performances by musicians, jugglers, stilt walkers and much more.

Remember, New York City never sleeps, especially not during the Christmas season!

Catherine Chidiac can be reached at catherine.chidiac@student.shu.edu.