SHU Helps Haiti

In efforts to raise money for DOVE's Haiti Program, Freshman Studies sponsored the Hoops for Haiti event in the Walsh Gym on Nov. 17.

A $1 donation was welcome but not required upon entering the event. Shirts were sold for $12 at the door.

Students played games suck as knock out and participated in a free throw contest. Winners of all games and contests received a prize.

According to Freshman Studies Mentor Elizabeth Hoehn, the event helped raise money and awareness for DOVE's Haiti Program. All proceeds will be going towards their trip to Haiti which they raise money for every year.

"I think the event had a great turn out," freshman Brigid Miller said. "It was a decent size, and there were more students than expected."

The event, thought of by Miller, was inspired by the 2010 summer reading selection, Mountains beyond Mountains.

Miller had the winning essay in the 2010 Freshman Studies summer reading essay contest. The contest asked freshmen to come up with an idea that would help support efforts in Haiti.

"We have all these opportunities here, and I thought that we could use them to help Haiti out," Miller said.

After reading Miller's essay, Hoehn thought it was a perfect fit.

"As part of my job, I help with the summer reading," Hoehn said. "We wanted to make this event philanthropic."

Miller was incredibly inspired by the book and worked with Freshman Studies to organize the event.

"All throughout high school I played basketball and I know a lot of kids like it too," Miller said. "I thought it would be a fun way to bring the school together for a good cause."

Hoehn and Miller said they were both happy and proud that Seton Hall students came out to support the event.

From Nov. 29 to Dec. 3, Freshman Studies will continue to raise money for DOVE's Haiti Program by selling $12 tee-shirts outside of the Caf.

Ashley Duvall can be reached at ashley.duvall@student.shu.edu