Sushi showdown in South Orange: Yama Sushi

Bored at school and have nothing to do? If so, Yama Sushi is the perfect Sushi place to go with friends, family teammates, and even take your boyfriend or girlfriend on a private date.

This small and quaint Japanese restaurant provides excellent service in an authentic Japanese environment that plays the most modern music. The restaurant is very warm and comfortable and customers will always be and seated with smiles.

The menu is filled with endless combinations of anything from their infinite variety of sushi, chicken, seafood, soups, dumplings, salads, noodles, edamame, fish, and ice cream and their beverages include teas and sodas.

Junior Nursing Major, Dantley Raquepo said, "The place is very cozy and comfortable and I love the music! It's a nice place for dates and the food is really delicious. I like coming here since it's so close to Seton Hall and I know I'm getting good quality food."

The Miso soup was warm and had fresh vegetables and chives. The appetizers are all inviting, the choices range from Shashimi combinations, Tuna, Edamame, Seaweed Salad, Gyoza, Shumai, and Tempura. The Edamame were crisp with the perfect amount of salt. The main courses come with your choice of rice, chicken, beef, tempura, salmon, salad, dumplings, and sushi.

Each plate ranges from $9.99 to $10.99 for dinner but for lunch specials are less expensive starting at $5.99 to $9.99. The portion of the chicken Teriyaki size was not too big compared with the price but it came with white rice, salad and dumplings. The chicken was sweet and the dumplings soft and moist.

The chefs cook the food within eye's view in moments and use great quality food with substance. Along with the main course the Spicy Tuna roll was delectable; the tuna was not too spicy but not too mild. The list of Sushi and Sashimi is vast they rolls ranging from California to spicy crab to Caribbean sushi.

You can order combinations of sushi and sashimi of your choice costing from $10.99 to $19.99. Single rolls of Sushi are priced from $3 to $10.99 depending on how many pieces and what type ordered.

You can end your meals off with the dessert of your choice either green tea ice cream or sponge cake ice cream sandwiches. The green tea ice cream tastes exactly like green tea and really beats having to have the cafeteria ice cream for a change.

The Service is outstanding, and restaurant is very clean and well kept along with their restroom area. Yama Sushi is open Monday through Saturday from 11:30 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. and you can even check them out at www.goyamashushi.com.

To think that all this is just a moment away at the first stop off of the Shufly across from Rite aid. Visit for their grand opening special and sign up to receive 10% off your total spend on your second visit!

Taste: A+

Price: A

Location: A+

Natalie Negrotti can be reached at natalie.negrotti@student.shu.edu.