Seton Hall shooting suspect withdraws probable cause motion

The attorney for one of the suspects in the Seton Hall shooting has withdrawn his motion for a probable cause hearing.

Clifford Lazzaro, who is representing Marcus Bascus, withdrew his motion for a probable cause hearing after viewing the information that the state has against his client.

According to The Star-Ledger, Assistant Prosecutor Romesh Sukhdeo called an East Orange detective to the stand who handed Lazzaro a copy of a redacted eyewitness statement.

Lazzoro then requested time to review the statement, which Judge Peter J. Vasquez granted and sent the court on a lunch break.

When the hearing resumed, Lazzoro withdrew the motion for a probable cause hearing.

He said he and his client will "wait and see" if Bascus gets indicted, then prepare for trial.

According to The Star-Ledger, Sukhdeo expects an indictment to be handed down soon.

Had the hearing continued, the state would have had to provide evidence that Bascus was involved in the shooting.

Jessica Moore's (the victim of the shooting) mother Phyllis Moore-Tolliver was in court for the hearing.

"I was pleased with the outcome," said Moore-Tolliver, who said she was there with her family members to support her daughter. "I want justice, not only here on earth but as it is in heaven."

Tim LeCras can be reached at timothy.lecras@student.shu.edu.