Seton Hall provides valuable experience, says SGA president

President of the Student Government Association, Melissa Boege, is not just involved in SGA. Rather, she devotes her time to many activities on campus and hopes to use those experiences in her future.

Boege, a native of Farmingdale, N.J., came to Seton Hall almost four years ago. Today, she is a senior, double majoring in psychology and social and behavioral sciences.

"Seton Hall University was my first choice before I ever came here and once I came here, it clicked. I just really liked it and knew I wanted to be here," Boege said.

On campus, Melissa is involved with SGA, Alpha Phi Omega, Omicron Delta Kappa, the Community Relations Certificate Program, Psi Chi, the Honors Program and the National Residence Hall Honorary. She is also involved with several local South Orange committees.

"She's fantastic! She's at everything," Elizabeth Gabriel, an SGA senator, said. "She makes her presence known – in a good way. She wants to help the student body."

Boege is also involved with the Sexual Assault Response Team (SART) on-campus. She began getting involved with the program through Rape Aggression Defense (RAD), a self -defense class offered by the University through Public Safety.

"I started thinking about things from the victim's perspective and it got me to think more of that's how I wanted my career to go," Boege said.

Looking toward the future, Boege hopes to work with victims of assault as a counselor. She aims to work for a nonprofit such as the Rape Abuse and Incest National Network (RAINN).

"For the pinnacle of my career, I'd like to work for the FBI as a victim's specialist," Boege said.

Boege also addressed her work with SGA, and said that SGA has been doing quite well.

Boege said many of the goals the association has set forth for itself this year have been accomplished, looked into or are currently being explored. She cited the recent boxed lunch initiative as an example.

Another SGA goal was to give students answers for questions they may have.

"I feel like we've been able to work with the administration to get answers on whatever issues have been brought to us (by students)," Boege said.

Spending almost four years at Seton Hall has certainly been a positive experience for Boege.

"I've really enjoyed being at Seton Hall; it's been a great four years," Boege said. "I've gotten so many great experiences and so many opportunities that I couldn't even have imagined when I came in as a freshman."

After graduation next spring, 2011, she hopes to attend Monmouth University to earn a Master's degree in Mental Health Counseling.

Jessica Card can be reached at jessica.card@student.shu.edu.