Swimming continues record start in pool

The men's and women's swimming and diving teams swept Saint Peter's in their dual meet on Nov. 12, by scores of 169-123 and 163-93 respectively.

The men improved their record to 6-1 on the season. The women continued their program record 7-0 start.

"The way the team won was great," head coach Ron Farina said. "It showed their focus and ability to not letup and not let the other team get close."

Freshman Kerrie Kolackovsky swam to two first place times in the 1000-yard freestyle and 100-yard breastroke.

Junior Rose Virgilio also earned two first place finishes in the 50 and 100-yard freestyles.

In the women's 50-yard freestyle, Seton Hall took the top three places with performances by Virgilio, freshman Kelly Markwell and senior Kara Walbaum.

Redshirt junior diver Brittany Hervey impressed Farina as she placed first in the one and three meter dives. She was followed by freshman Katie Riley and junior Kaitlyn Karl in second and third places in both events.

Freshman Jane Ehret, alongside sophomore Andrea Shuba, Kolackovsky, and Virgilio, won first place in the women's 400-yard medley relay.

Shuba earned a first place time in the 100-yard backstroke.

Sophomore Austin Acheson and senior Kevin Webster lead the men's team. Both swimmers earned first place victories in two events.

Acheson won the 500 and 1000-yard freestyles. Webster swam to first place in the 100 and 200-yard backstrokes.

The men also took the first three places in the 500-yard freestyle. Acheson was followed by sophomore Ian Keyser and junior Peter Gingeleskie.

They also won the top three places in the 1000-yard freestyle. Keyser and Gingeleskie won second and third respectively. Acheson won the event.

Freshman Spencer Murakami led yet another one, two, three victory for the Pirates in the 200 yard butterfly.

Freshman diver Nick Garcia-Morales and junior diver Will Penny earned crucial points in the one and three meter dives. They finished first and second in both events respectively.

Although hopes were high, Farina said at the beginning of the season he did not imagine the team would start off this fast.

"You always hope to start off strong and do well," Farina said. "This season has been a little bit of a surprise."

Farina noted the versatility of Webster for the men's team.

"I can use him to swim basically whatever I need him to," Farina said. "He can neutralize the other team's best swimmer."

The teams will next compete in the Patriot Invitational in Fairfax, Va. this weekend.

T.J. Brennan can be reached at thomas.brennan@student.shu.edu