Late-night fast food: La Vera

Whether it is the snack to get you through studying on school nights or the obligatory post-Cryan's eats on the weekend, the fuel that keeps college students moving year-round is pizza. For those who frequently suffer from midnight cravings, La Vera is the place for you: their hours are described as from 11 a.m. – Late.

Located at 329 Valley St., La Vera will deliver to satisfy all of your cravings for Italian food. Reasonably priced, their plain pizza only costs $10.95 with traditional toppings like pepperoni, sausage, ham, meatballs and onions for only an additional $1.95. Gourmet toppings like eggplant, chicken, roasted red peppers, ground beef, steak and artichokes are also available for $2.95 each.

La Vera additionally offers specialty pies like stuffed pizzas and white supreme, eggplant pesto, BBQ chicken and chicken Caesar salad pies, among others. There are also strombolis, calzones and different types of specialty rolls ranging from $4.95 to $6.95.

If pizza has become an all-too-familiar aspect of your diet, La Vera's menu also provides healthier choices. For instance, the restaurant's salads range from the ordinary house, cold antipasto and Caesar salads, to more complex dishes like calamari alla grilla and mozzarella caprese.

And if healthy is the complete opposite of what you desire, order a Rutgers-style fat sandwich. Ingredients on the various options of sandwiches include chicken fingers, mozzarella sticks, French fries, onion rings, cheese steak, bacon and burger.

There are also a wide variety of hot and cold sandwiches offered, including meatball, sausage, chicken, eggplant, veal, ham and salami, tuna and turkey. Wraps and paninis are also available for $7.95, both of which come with a side of French fries.

La Vera is not exclusively for take-out; it is also a local and affordable eatery even suitable for a date. So go and impress your significant other by ordering a seafood combo, which includes clams, shrimp, mussels and calamari, or a veal or chicken entree without breaking the bank.

But for those un-romantics just looking for a bite to get through a November all-nighter, this is especially the right place for you. Pizza may not help your grades (or your waistline), but it will make those seemingly endless nights more bearable.

Kevin Stevens can be reached at kevin.stevens@student.shu.edu.