Volleyball moves into postseason position

The volleyball team split two Big East matches over the past weekend defeating Georgetown 3-0 on Sunday and losing to USF 3-1 on Friday. As a result, the Pirates moved into the eighth and final qualifying spot for the Big East Tournament with a 11-15 overall record and a 5-5 record in the Big East.

Sunday, the Hall beat Georgetown on the road 3-0 (25-14, 25-21, 25-23). Sophomore Morgan DeVries started set one with three straight points leading the Hall to a 4-0 lead. The Pirates made a 10-0 run while leading 13-11 en route to the 25-14 win in the first set.

The second set, DeVries came up with a kill while up 18-17, and with a Georgetown error and an ace from Olivia Trudeau, the Hall pulled out to the 21-17 lead. The Pirates were able to finish off the Hoyas and take the second set 25-21, to lead the match 2-0.

The Hall continued to get the early lead and in the third set was up 19-12. Georgetown then put together a run of their own to cut the Pirate lead down to one. The Hall came back and finished the set with a kill from junior Meghan Matusiak to win the set, 25-23, finishing off the three set victory.

Matusiak led all players with 10 kills, with freshman Alyssa Warren having a game-high 16 digs, and sophomore Olivia Trudeau adding 29 assists in the win.

Senior Sarah Osmun recorded her 1,500th career kill in the victory against Georgetown, extending her school record.

On Friday, the Seton Hall volleyball team lost a four-set match to USF, falling 3-1 (25-23, 25-23, 25-27, 25-22).

The Hall led early in the first set, going up 11-8 on a kill from Osmun but lost the first set 25-23 after an error by Osmun.

The Bulls defeated the Hall in the second set 25-23 because of a service error by Trudeau after the Pirates had taken four straight points to tighten the set up. The Pirates had the lead in the first two sets but couldn't finish off the Bulls.

The third set was back and forth with the Hall being able to win the set 27-25 with the help from Osmun and Hugeback with consecutive points breaking the 25-25 tie.

The Pirates attempted to come back late in set four after being down 23-19, and after a block from junior Krissy Wrobel to make it a two point set 24-22. However the Hall would lose the set 25-22, and the match 3-1 to South Florida.

Sophomore Hannah Hugeback led the team with career-high 20 kills and 11 digs with Osmun also recording a double-double with 19 kills and 17 digs. Freshman Alyssa Warren led all players with 20 digs, with Trudeau doing the same with 53 assists. The teams finished even in digs with 84 each.

The Pirates return home to face the Syracuse Orange on Saturday, after five straight road matches against Big East opponents.

Daniel Simone can be reached at daniel.simone@student.shu.edu