Pirates fail to make postseason

The women's soccer team concluded their season with a lost and a win, falling to Louisville 1-0 and defeating Cincinnati 3-1 at home.

On Sunday, Senior Day, the Hall defeated Cincinnati ending the Pirates' season with a 7-10-1 overall record, and 3-7-1 in the Big East.

Redshirt senior Katie Andreski scored the first goal of the game on a penalty kick in the 63rd minute giving the Hall a 1-0 lead.

"Definitely felt like it should have happened," Andreski said, "as a senior leading the team."

A Cincinnati player committed a handball with an open net to prevent a goal, which resulted in a penalty kick.

Senior captain Nicki Gross added the second goal of the game for the Hall in the 67th minute.

She received a cross at the top of the box from senior Keri O'Donnell, and kicked the ball past the outstretched arms of sophomore goalkeeper, Ashley Daniels into the left top corner of the goal for the 2-0 lead.

The final goal for the Pirates came in the 72nd minute by freshman Brittany Albrecht. Albrecht received a lead pass from junior Taylor Wilson, and kicked the ball from the right corner over Daniels into the left corner of the net for a 3-0 lead.

The only goal for the Bearcats came in the 78th minute by freshman Jazmine Rhodes. Rhodes received a lead pass from sophomore Liz Miller, and kicked the ball passed sophomore goalkeeper Jennifer Pettigrew with it rolling into the back of the net.

Pettigrew recorded two saves, allowing one goal.

The Pirates attempted 20 total shots, 12 on goal. Andreski led the Hall with seven shots, three was on target.

The Pirates also had a 3-2 advantage in corner kicks.

"It is almost bittersweet. It's been a great four years," Gross added, "Great to leave off on a winning note."

On Friday, the Hall was scoreless en route to a 1-0 lost against Louisville.

Illegal tripping in the 33rd minute gave Louisville an opportunity for a penalty kick by junior Jennifer Jones that was kicked passed Pettigrew for the 1-0 lead and eventually final score.

Cardinals' sophomore goalkeeper Taylor Vancil made 12 saves and earned her fifth shutout, while Pettigrew made four saves and allowed a goal.

The Pirates were shutout despite shooting more shots than the Cardinals 16-13, including 12 attempts on goal.

Six players led the Pirates with two shots; three of the players had two shots on goal.

"This is a group that worked really hard, especially at the end of the season," head coach Kaz Tambi said.

With last encouraging words of advice for next year's seniors, O'Donnell said, "Step up and be leaders on the team and be vocal on and off the field."

Ryan Rush can be reached at ryan.rush@student.shu.edu