NYC: Parade or be afraid

With Halloween just around the corner, students are perfecting their costumes and trying to figure out party plans. Sure, the fraternities, sororities and sports teams will probably throw parties, though you can never be sure if the SOPD will arrive dressed as police officers breaking up an event.

Students of age can look for thrills at the local haunt, Cryan's, while others can be old-fashioned and go trick-or-treating.

For those looking to do something out of the ordinary, consider heading out to Manhattan to check out the 38th annual Halloween parade in Greenwich Village. Home of the nation's largest public Halloween parade, the Village's event has been named "The Greatest Event on Earth for October 31" by Festivals International and will feature nearly 60,000 costumed marchers in its mile-long stage.

The parade will begin at 7 p.m. on 6th Avenue, south of Spring Street and above Canal Street. For those Halloween enthusiasts who want to be in the parade, line-up starts at 6:30 p.m. and lasts until 11 p.m. For anyone looking to march, there is one cardinal rule: participants must be in costume.

The evening's festivities include 42 bands of various types of music, artists, puppets, and dancers. Thousands of New Yorkers are expected to celebrate in the streets of the Village to the theme of "Momento Mori," which means "remember your mortality."

Even if you choose not to march, if you decide to be one of the two million people in attendance, remember to dress for the weather! The end of October tends to bring low temperatures.

If a parade does not appeal to you, but you still want to experience the Halloween spirit in New York, there are always haunted places and attractions occurring the entire weekend. Try Blood Manor Haunted House (located at 542 W 27th St. between 10th & 11th Avenues), a 500 square foot labyrinth.

For the even more adventurous, check out the NYC Halloween Haunted House (located at 115 W 27th Street between 6th and 7th Avenues), which its website describes as an "intense interactive experience" where you are forced to walk the spooky path alone. Those under the age of 18 are not admitted and "Time Out New York" explains why: it advises that attendees "better bring a change of pants."

No matter how you decide to celebrate Halloween this year, be safe, enjoy yourself and always keep an eye out for a black cat crossing your path.

Amanda Berrill can be reached at amanda.berrill@student.shu.edu.