Former NJ attorney general, alum dies

W. Cary Edwards, a Seton Hall graduate and adjunct professor, passed away on Oct. 20 at the age of 66 after battling cancer for many years.

Edwards graduated from the Stillman School of Business in 1967 and then received a J.D. from the Seton Hall University School of Law.

At the time of his passing Edwards was chairman and commissioner of the State Council on Investigations. He also served as former New Jersey attorney general and as a member of the state legislature.

He has been the recipient of five honorary doctor of law degrees at Thomas Edison State University, Upsala, William Paterson University, Ramapo College of New Jersey and Seton Hall University.

Edwards served as chief counsel to Governor Thomas H. Kean and was council president and council member of Oakland N.J.

In addition to being an adjunct at Seton Hall, Edwards served as an adjunct at the Eagleton Institute at Rutgers University. At Monmouth University he was a lifetime member of the board of trustees.

Edwards has received over 150 community service awards. He was lead director of the board of directors of South Jersey Industries, as well as chairman of the board of South Jersey Sanitation. He was a member of the board of New Jersey Future and had affiliations with at least six other community and volunteer organizations.

Edwards was born in 1944 in Paterson and grew up in Fair Lawn. According to The Star Ledger, he was the son of a single mother and signed his family's mortgage when he was 19.

Edwards is survived by his wife of 41 years, Lynn ( Cozzolino) Edwards, his mother Virginia Edwards (Duncan), sister, Cheryl Edwards and her husband Ali Shalforoosh. Also surviving are two adult daughters, Kari Lynn Giordano and her husband, Shane, and Marcy Lynn Benner and her husband, Adam.

He was the grandfather of five grandchildren and uncle of 16 nieces and nephews.

In a statement on behalf of the

Edwards family his wife, Lynn Edwards, said, "Cary was a caring and loving husband, son, brother, father and grandfather to his family, his passing has left a void in our lives that will be impossible to fill."

Nicole Bitette can be reached at nicole.bitette@student.shu.edu.