Royalty reigns in the Theatre-in-the-Round

The Department of Communication and the Arts' first theatre production of the semester, "King Lear", debuts Oct. 22 at 8 p.m. in the Theatre-in-the-Round.

"King Lear" will be the last show Dr. James McGlone directs at The Hall.

Written by William Shakespeare, "King Lear" is the tragic story of a misguided, headstrong king and his three daughters, Regan, Cordelia, and Goneril . In a quest to determine which of his daughters loves him the most, Lear divides his kingdom, resulting in battle and bloodshed. The play ends with the death of the king and his daughters.

In recent years, Seton Hall's Department of Communication has performed several Shakespearean comedies, but, as sophomore Bill Torres explains, tragedies are a different experience for both the actor and the audience.

"Shakespeare is always hard to perform, but with tragedies you're dealing with a new range of emotions," Torres said.

Torres tells audience members to expect "intensity, intimacy, and dark humor." The audience, he believes, will connect with the characters.

Senior Matt Giroveanu said that the opportunity to play a villain is exciting and is looking forward to act in McGlone's last show. Giroveanu plays the evil Edmund.

"Talk about typecasting," he joked, as he analyzed the motivations behind his character's actions. "It's interesting to see Edmund's paranoia and how he feels like an outcast, even though everyone treats him like a legitimate son."

Junior Megan Hanson, who plays Regan, is also excited to be an evil character. "It's actually extremely satisfying to play a villain," she said.

"Oddly enough, it comes relatively natural to me," Hanson said. "My challenge, I believe, is actually playing royalty more so that actually playing evil," Hanson said.

Henry LaGue, a second year graduate student who has been in five other Shakespearean plays, described playing Lear as humbling.

"I'm a 23 year old playing an elderly man; few people at my age have the opportunity to play such a role," he said. "Being one of Shakespeare's more complex characters helps me to see how great a playwright he was."

When asked why he wanted to audition for "King Lear," Giroveanu reflected on his time involved with Seton Hall Theatre.

"Doc cast me in my first show at Seton Hall," Giroveanu said. "I found it only fitting to be a part of his last show. I have the utmost respect for Dr. McGlone."

Torres echoed Giroveanu's sentiments.

"It's an honor to work with Doc; it was bittersweet since I'm only a sophomore and have only had a few opportunities to work with him," he said. "Doc is specific in what he wants – only by working with him through an entire play, do you see where you were and where he's brought you."

Hanson also said she was "honored to be a part of Doc's last show."

"This is my fourth show with Dr. McGlone here at Seton Hall," she said. "Doc's dedication to Seton Hall has been immeasurable, and I can speak on behalf of the students by saying that we will miss him dearly."

There are seven opportunities to see "King Lear", beginning this Friday. The play will be performed Oct. 22, 23, 29, and 30 at 8 p.m. and Oct. 24 and 31 at 2 p.m. in the Theatre-in-the-Round.

Traditionally, the first show of Seton Hall Theatre's season is held on campus, as opposed to at SOPAC. It will be an especially fitting setting for McGlone's final production.

Cathryn Wiatroski can be reached at cathryn.wiatroski@student.shu.edu.