No success on New York road trip

The Pirates dropped back to back road contests over the weekend, falling to St. John's and Syracuse.

On Oct. 17, the Pirates played to a scoreless tie in double overtime against Syracuse that left the Hall with a 6-9-1 overall mark, 2-6-1 in the Big East. It was their seventh straight winless match.

Pirate sophomore goalkeeper Jennifer Pettigrew played all 110 minutes, and logged seven saves. It was her third shutout this year.

On the other side, Syracuse freshman goalkeeper Brittany Anghel.

The Pirates totaled 13 total shots overall, but none in the overtime periods. The Pirates turned away seven shot attempts from the Orange in the overtime periods. Syracuse totaled 16 shots in the game.

"We have improved tremendously over the year, but it hasn't always shown," Tambi said.

Seton Hall was led offensively by freshman Katie Ritter, who totaled five shots, three of which were on goal. Senior captain Nikki Gross had four shots for the Hall, two of which were on goal.

Tina Romagnuolo led the way for the Red Storm with four shots, while freshman Cecilia Borgstrom chipped in with 3 shots.

A physical battle resulted in three total yellow cards, two given to the Pirates. Christina Barthel received one late in regulation, while Ashley Clarke got hers in the first overtime period.

On Oct. 15, the Hall fell late to the St John's Red Storm, 1-0 which at the time was their sixth straight loss.

In the 78th minute, St John's had a opportunity on a corner kick that deflected off the cross bar, but freshman midfielder Kerry Cummings took the rebound and headed it past Pettigrew for the 1-0 lead that would stand.

Red Storm goalkeeper Kristin Russell made four saves and recorded her 7th shutout, while Pettigrew was only forced to make two saves.

The Pirates were shut out despite out shooting the Red Storm 10-8, including six shots coming in the second half of play.

Despite not tallying a goal, Tambi said his group has performed well, though the results did not show on the scoreboard. "The passing has been as good as it's been all year," Tambi said of the Pirate's offense.

Gross led the way for the Pirates with two shots on goal, and three overall.

"Nikki has really worked hard to get a lot of shots, she's been an all-around solid performer," Tambi said. He also said that the seniors collectively have been a dedicated group on and off the field, and key in mentoring the younger players.

For the Red Storm, Amy Marron had three shots, while Leaverton had two. The Red Storm also had the edge in corner kicks, with a 5-3 advantage.

"The road trip was great; we competed with top teams, but we're always happy to be home and to play in front of our fans," Tambi said.

The Pirates return for their final home stand of the season, and will face Louisville at 7 p.m. on Oct. 22.

David Rind can be reached at david.rind@student.shu.edu.