Gum accidentally becomes available for purchase on campus

Due to an error, chewing gum has recently been sold in various on-campus establishments including several vending machines and the Pirate Express portion of the Caf.

Because of a policy implemented during Msgr. Robert Sheeran's presidency, the selling of gum is prohibited in any on-campus establishments including the Caf, vending machines and the Seton Hall bookstore.

"Chewing gum sales are not allowed on campus," Adam Boyton, manager of the bookstore , said. "Any gum that is available is in error and is in the process of being removed."

This policy is not one that was put into practice recently.

"Banning the sale of gum on campus was implemented a number of years ago," said John Signorello, associate vice president of Facilities and Operations.

According to Signorello, a ban on the sale of gum was implemented because it was constantly being found on the sidewalks, under tables, desks, chairs and other surfaces throughout campus and damaging personal apparel.

He said that the ban was put into practice to improve the general appearance and cleanliness of the University's campus.

According to Signorello, removing the gum came about because students often do not dispose of it properly.

Signorello said by not making gum available on campus, the University reduces the amount of gum-chewing that occurs among the members of the student body.

"Chewing gum should be properly discarded," Signorello said. "It will stick to and sometimes stain the surface on which it is left. Removal typically requires high pressure steam cleaning and scrubbing of hard surfaces."

He also stressed that gum can have high clean-up costs associated with it.

"On masonry surfaces, clean up costs will vary based on the area to be cleaned and the level of work required," Signorello said.

He also believse that the University campus has benefited from this policy.

"The policy has had a positive impact on the appearance and cleanliness of the campus," Signorello said.

Many students were not aware that the policy existed.

"I just think people are going to chew it regardless, so it does not really matter whether or not you sell it on campus," sophomore Maggie Konstantine said.

Konstantine said that she was unaware the policy was enforced on campus.

She also said it seems surprising the school would have a policy that would limit the sale of something so commonly found elsewhere.

"I mean you can buy it in so many places so it just seems weird," Konstantine said.

One student feels that gum has benefits to students and should be sold on-campus.

"I know I still chew gum," Taina Vargas, a first year graduate student, said. "I remember hearing that it stimulates your thinking and helps you with test taking so it is almost ironic that they do not want to sell it to us."

Despite students' inability to purchase gum on campus, it will still be chewed.

"Regardless of whether or not I can get it here, I'm definitely going be able to get it other places and chew it anyway," Vargas said.

Though there is a policy that limits the selling of gum on campus, there is no rule prohibiting or limiting the chewing of gum among students.

According to Signorello, here are no plans to eliminate the current policy and allow for the selling of gum.

Alyana Alfaro can be reached at alyana.alfaro@student.shu.edu.